homestead - Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:14:12 -0500

On 10/13/06, SISU! <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

Are you speaking in general or specifically about chestnuts? They are
allegedly almost impossible to propagate from cuttings.

I don't know about chestnuts but you can root a lot of things by using
water in which willow trimmings have been soaked. I also found that I
could root lots of things by rooting them in damp vermiculite (with or
without willow water) rather than sticking them in water.

Isn't there a guy in the upper south somewhere who has been working to
breed a 100 percent American chestnut that is resistant. I have only
shreds of memory about this guy's work, but I believe he found some
surviving chestnuts, or at least one, and has trees that he's started
from this survivor. Does anyone have knowledge of this guy? Or did I
dream it?

Marie