homestead - Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:48:02 -0700

SISU! wrote:

Does anyone know whether nut quality suffers if grown from
seed versus a cutting?

I don't know about chestnuts, but in general it sure does. That's why I was crowing when my little English walnut seedling had 8 whole nuts this year. I guess that's the reason for doing grafting (for trees whose cuttings won't sprout directly), so that the top part is genetically identical to a known cultivar that bears lots of nuts. If your original tree was not a graft (or cutting -- harder to tell), then chances are that the new seedlings will perform similarly well.

I am not going to eat these flattened 'seed nuts'. I want to plant them
in my tree nursery and grow more chestnuts. I just want to grow more
chestnuts, either from cuttings or from seed! This small tree, barely a
toddler as trees go, put a lot of chestnuts on the ground in less than 5
years.

You may have inspired me to try again.

Bill
S. Oregon coast