homestead - Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:29:19 -0400

Bill Jones wrote:

I guess you said that chestnut cuttings grow fine.

No, I didn't say that, I don't think. I have read conflicting things about rooting cuttings, but most everything I've read talks about how it doesn't easily make roots.

Some species of
plants cannot be started easily from cuttings, so grafting is a preferred way to obtain a clone of the original, but that's not the only reason.

I think grafting is the preferred way with chestnuts.

Anyway, the cuttings will fruit exactly like the "parent" tree (since they're clones), if they take, and will probably do it much faster than a seedling, but their root systems tend to be poorer than those of seedlings.

Right

Another thing I am confused about....
Chestnuts are self-sterile-they can't pollinate themselves or a clone of themselves...that being true, then how did I egg up with nuts on my tree? What pollinated the tree?

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky