homestead - [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:16:47 -0400

It was a banner day for bugs here at EarthNSky. I was working on the chicken coop and something moving caught my eye. It was a walking stick, and a large one at that! I saw a baby walker a couple of weeks ago-so cute, so this one must have been great granddad(or grandma). A few minutes later, while looking at my asparagus berries, a praying mantis crawled off the fern and onto my hand. They kind of creep me out because they look like what I would envision an alien to look like, but I know they are super beneficial so I would never harm one.
No snakes seen today, but I did see a pileated woodpecker hammering on a dead pine. A nearby squirrel wasn't happy about it either. Tonight, while out on the deck, we saw several bats struggling in the wind, listened to the coyotes, and I saw a luna month on the window looking confused at to what happened to the lights!

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky