homestead - Re: [Homestead] Being too frugal, if it's possible

  • From: "Wendy Gulliver" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Being too frugal, if it's possible
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:19:08 -0400

Hi Bev! {{{hugs}}} Long time no chat. I've been busy and had not had the time to get involved here, but I had to put my two cents in on this. Diet soda with aspartame is bad news. Aspartame breaks down into three chemicals above 93F, none of which are safe to drink. (Remember when nutrasweet first came out, it was mixed with saccharine because it was so unstable that it converted in the delivery trucks and tasted nasty.) One is methanol and I can't remember what the other two are, but one of them interferes with the metabolism of sugar. That is why there is now a serious problem with adult type II diabetes in children. Most insulin dependent diabetics can go off insulin injections by merely stopping the aspartame consumption and those with severe diabetes complications such as retinal bleeding and healing issues can halt the effects by halting the aspartame. It only takes a few days to see the difference. However, many people who drink quantities have problems stopping the aspartame as it is addictive. The other chemical is an odd one. Your body doesn't recognize it at all. There is no mechanism to utilize it or eliminate it so your body encapsulates it in a fat and stores it like it does with any molecule it can't deal with. I call this storage fat "permafat". You know those fat pockets that you cannot get rid of no matter how much you exercise or diet. Liposuction is the only method to remove it. Wow, some of you may have noticed that your body temp is usually about 98.6F. This means that even if aspartame laced soda is stored properly, and is safe when you drink it, it converts into toxic waste as soon as you drink it. How about that! So, what do you do with diet coke? Pour it into a plastic bottle if it isn't already in one. Then, with the opening pointed away from your face and everyone else's, drop in a Mentos mint and watch out! The reaction is spectacular. Diet coke isn't good to drink, but it is fun to play with.

Wendy

I was accused today of being too frugal. I did not think that possible.
Summer before last, we threw a big party and had people bring the
drinks. Many people brought drinks/soda in cans of various brands.
Many were diet drinks like diet coke, and I am not a diet drink person.
Having friends and family who are, I decided to save those drinks for
future guests. Over the last year or so, people have been drinking
those drinks without complaint, but yesterday, one of my guests asked
for a drink and I gave her one from the storage room. The can was from
2004, a diet coke. She opened it, it fizzed, and she poured it into a
glass with ice....more fizz....then she noticed the Six Flags ad from
2004 on the can and asked me how old the coke was....lol...suddenly, she
complained that it did not taste right....and promptly dumped it out. I
was not aware that canned soda could "go bad" but apparently it is
possible for time to affect the taste, especially with diet drinks. I
was going to toss the drinks, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
Surely, I am thinking, there must be another use for them...it's not
like they are 'spoiled' or anything. I was thinking about perhaps using
the diet coke in some kind of marinade...I know there are various lists
around that detail the uses of Coke, but I don't know if those apply to
diet coke as well. I assume they do. I don't want to be so frugal that
people think I am off my rocker, but I just can't bear throwing out
those cans, especially when there is some doubt in my mind that my guest
was influenced by what she saw, not necessarily what she tasted! Any ideas?

Bev
--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses