homestead - Re: [Homestead] Artificial sweeteners

  • From: "Wendy Gulliver" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Artificial sweeteners
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:55:58 -0400

Diet soda with aspartame is bad news. Aspartame breaks down into
three chemicals above 93F, none of which are safe to drink.

What do you know about Splenda?

Well, Splenda is newer than aspartame, so all the possible pros and cons have not surfaced yet. So far, they know it causes thymus shrinkage -- no knows why. Your thymus is part of your immune system and essential when you are a youngster before your natural antibodies are developed. They are now finding out that your thymus plays a large part in allowing your cells to recognize foreign and defective cells throughout your life. When your thymus is used hard, like during a long viral illness, cancer, aids, etc it shrinks considerably. So my question on Splenda is does it cause the shrinkage, or is the thymus reacting to the Splenda or one of it's by-products or metabolites as a virus or other invading nasty. Which is worse???? In an adult, I think it is a case of "take all things in moderation". I would not consume neither on a daily bases. I know I would never, never ever give either to a child. I cringe at the Sugar free jello commercials. Our school system is taking all the sugared drinks out of the machines and replacing them with only diet soda, fruit drinks and water. (Someone thinks our kids are too fat.) I would take the diet out and throw it at some marketing executive's head.

Wendy