homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unbelievable story...laugh or cry

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unbelievable story...laugh or cry
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:50:52 -0700

They announced today that they will be hauling nuclear plant waste water into the Atlantic and dumping it. Their only concern was to assure folks that it wouldn't harm their drinking water. No mention of what it would do to the plankton, kelp and fish out there or the folks on the end of that food chain who eat the fish.

Which brought about a conversation started by a conversation of dioxin on another list. We have all these supposed high faluting scientists around the world that can invent all sorts of things we certainly don't "need" and that don't really benefit the human race or the earth. Why the heck can't they invent a way to undo stuff they do? Why, if they know they are attaching a chlorine atom to oxygen and carbon and coming up with dioxin, can't they come up with a way to undo the thing OR to add another atom to it to make something else that isn't toxic! The same with nuclear waste. If we can split an atom, why can't we figure a way to unsplit an atom or to make them attach to something else that would be a good thing?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>

That's what I mean...
I guess, too, I never realized just how quickly the double edged sword
of scientific knowledge would quickly turn a positive thing into
something negative, and I certainly never saw my own lifestyle reverting
back to the old ways...if you had asked me what my life now would be
like back then, I probably would have described something akin to a
Jetsonian existence instead of a Flintstonian existence...lol... it's a
weird twist.