homestead - Re: [Homestead] Selling was: Harpie visit

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw AT chilitech.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Selling was: Harpie visit
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:11:37 -0400

Bev; Some good ideas! We have a local garden center that starts seeds for
plants to sell; they have 3 or 4 Master Gardeners on staff and by early
spring have a whole greenhouse full of healthy little plants. They sell
cell
packs fairly cheaply, so I can't compete with them. They actually start
some interesting varieties, including heirlooms, and I bought some plants
from them this year to
'fill in the corners' of the garden. I used to sell herb plants at my
farmstand until I found out that I need a liscense and inpection for that.
It's only $35, but I didn't sell that much worth of herb plants. Geez; you
need a liscense to breathe anymore.

Tanning hides...I've tried curing lamb skins and wasn't very good at it. I
don't think I'd tackle something a big as a cow. I was going to have them
done professionally and sell them, but all the local tanneries have
closed. My winter project is still learning to spin the wool from the
sheep. The last couple of winters have had their share of buziness and
emergencies, so I never even got my wheel out. At the rate I'm going, I'll
never make a living at THAT.

I DID manage to dry, hang, and cut holes in
some birdhouse gourds, ready to paint. And also made some fall baskets
with mini pumpkins and gourds...they actually sold pretty well: I buy
baskets from Good Will all year at about $.50/each, add pretty fall
ribbon, dried or artificial flowers, and pumpkins/gourds and sell them for
$5 (They didn't sell at all at $10). This year I'm growing Queen Anne
Pocket Melons for decorating...melons that have a strong fragrance (they
aren't for eating, though). I also have a contract with a local school to
provide them with gourds for their art classes. It's kind of sad that I
get more for the 'artsy' stuff than for food, since my goal is to promote
local food.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm