homestead - Re: [Homestead] Selling was: Harpie visit

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Selling was: Harpie visit
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:19:04 -0400

Lynn,
While I was in the shower, I had a thought....
I know you probably (almost certainly) have considered this, but I am
going to post it anyway just in case someone else might benefit...
Would it be possible to use your gardening skills to sell the heirloom
plants instead of the heirloom vegetables? I recall that you have a
greenhouse heated by wood....If you could raise tomato plants cheaply,
you could sell the plants to your local feed store or farm supply and
undercut national plant providers like Bonnie's. You get the local farm
store to advertise for you in a "support your local farm and farm store"
theme....perhaps adding in a "avoid pesticides and hormones...grow your
own" message. I know your growing season is short, so having the
transplants ready at the right time to sell for gardeners to get an
early jump would be the key. I haven't done the math on this idea, but
I bet you have<g>. Seeds are cheap, and if you can get the plants to
size in the wood heated greenhouse, you might be able to make a profit.
I know some people don't mess with seeds at all-their whole garden
comes from transplants, and with society's impatience and want for
things right now, you might be successful. You could even pot some
vegetables up in hanging baskets(like upside down tomatoes) or other
containers to give apartment dwellers ideas on how they might be able to
grow their own. I picture little herb gardens ready for the
windowsill-annual herbs like basil, of course, so people have to buy
more. :) Even if you had to use grow lights, I'd bet you could make a
small profit anyway.

Also, have you thought about learning to tan hides and making leather
goods from your cattle? I know, it would take a while to learn, but
you're creative and I'm sure you could come up with something that would
be simple to make and easy to sell to those tourists who drive by
Cowbridge... :) You could tan and work leather in the winter and sell
the stuff during the summer tourism months...

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W