homestead - Re: [Homestead] Selling was: Harpie visit

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Selling was: Harpie visit
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:17:13 -0500

On 6/27/06, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw AT chilitech.net> wrote:
It's not a good area for premium prices. I just raised the price of my
free-range eggs to $1.50/dozen, and I lost most of my egg
customers. I have lots and lots and lots of unsold eggs...I'm feeding them
to the dogs. The message is clear: I can go back to $1.25/doz. or go out
of the egg business.

Yeah, it all depends on what the market will bear. I'm not selling
eggs right now, but last year I raised the price to $3 (from $2) and
there was nary a whimper...

My target market is fairly well paid state workers (though the lower
paid ones are more appreciative, it seems, of fresh eggs because they
know what eggs are supposed to taste like -- many of them are farm
wives who are working so the family has insurance).
Marie