homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:47:41 -0400

Yeah, it would make sense to do that...pre-boiling does use additional
energy, however. I think you could also attach an activated charcoal
filter to the apparatus to absorb volatiles, but while that might work
for benzene and some VOC's it won't work for certain pesticides.

<sigh> There's no great answer to this..

I found this page, ironically from the Missouri Extension service:

http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/hesguide/houseeq/gh4863.htm

I know I, at least, have been talking in general terms about water
purification attempts and various ways to do it. I don't think there is
one "right" way, I think there are a lot of ways....it all is just going
to depend on your resources and what the 'problem' might be with the
water you are wanting to drink. Also, I suppose it depends on your
health and how you think you want to manage that. For example, some
bottled water is high in sodium-not the best thing for some people, but
it makes the water taste good. I personally like minerals in my water,
and I think it has health benefits, but YMMV. I just wanted to make sure
that everyone knows that "pure" water really doesn't exist for very long
as it absorbs gases, becomes acidic, and then you have a different
animal. It surely doesn't exist in the natural world. Whole areas of
health research have been done on acidity in diet and whether or not it
is a good thing or a bad thing is a personal choice. I love my cokes
and coffee...I don't have any problem with acid drinks...
I suppose since this is The Homestead List, we should also be concerned
with how much energy we are using to clean up the water, how long each
method takes, and how much these things cost. If you are relying on an
electrical or mechanical device to clean your water, like UV, what
happens when the power goes out? It's just one more thing to think
about and prepare for, because we can't live without water for
long....Like always, it comes down to personal preferences, choice, and
circumstance.

Bev

Marie McHarry wrote:

It's been many, many years since I distilled anything, but if your water contains compounds with substantially lower boiling points than
water, you could first boil the water and then distill it. Of course, you wouldn't want to breathe the air... but there's always something.

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W