homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:31:47 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

Actually, not funny in at least the last regard. We used to distill our water here, found it to have certain qualities and today buy distilled water for tea and coffee. Distilled water has no taste, so
the coffee or tea flavor is more true.

Like I touched on in a previous post, when you de-mineralize water, you
make it acidophilic, it usually becomes acidic by dissolving gases, but
in this case, the distilled water reaps the acid from the coffee or tea,
increasing the flavor and taste, and your new 'acidic water' becomes the
coffee or tea. It makes chemical sense. When or not those acidic
drinks are good for you is a whole 'nother matter. :)

Distilled water is about as
pure H2O as you can get.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Like I said
before, if your base sample contains volatile organics, then you are
distilling those right alongside the water. They will vaporize first
and condense in your collector along with your 'pure' water. Since some
water is lost in the condenser, you have essentially concentrated those
volatiles moreso than if you had never distilled the water. Volatile
organics AKA VOC's are carcinogenic for the most part-things like
toluene and benzene are VOC's. Any compound with a lower boiling point
than water will be added to your distillate, so your distilled water is
not really that pure, unless you verify that the base source contains no
VOC's to begin with.

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W