homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:13:36 -0500

I have city water, but we want better and looking at a reverse
osmosis unit for our drinking water. What does the collective wisdom
have to share on getting high quality H2O.

We have drunk bottled water for many years, whether here at Heartwood or in Phoenix. Now that we're here permanently we are seeking our ultimate water system. You will recall that we pump our water directly from our stream, in which live all manner of critters including beavers; think giardia.

We recently installed an undersink 7-stage filter system from Crystal Quest.
http://www.crystalquest.com/Undersink-water-filters.htm
Through a state health clinic we sent water for testing to the State Public Health Lab in Jefferson City, MO. The report came back with these statements:

E coli: Absent
Total coliform: Present
Interpretation: Unsatisfactory for drinking water purposes.

I am now waiting for a response from Crystal Quest. I told them the results and asked if they make a filter that will remove all coliform.

Since city water is chlorinated it is safe for drinking water but many choose not to drink chlorine and the taste is often awful and would greatly benefit from this filter system. I forget which Internet vendor I bought it through, but the 30,000-gallon W13 Ultimate model only cost about $110.00. It is much more expensive directly from Crystal Quest.