homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homemade tinctures

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homemade tinctures
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:36:12 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
On 6/14/06, Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

This morning, I have been out collecting bark from wild cherry trees.

Would love to hear how the tincture turns out. How much bark did you
collect?

It'll be months before I strain the tinctures. I am a believer in long extraction times. Hopefully, the medicine will be suitably strong by the time I need it this winter.
I pruned my Montmorency and scraped some bark from the prunings, maybe 1/2 cup or so-not much. It's more like a twig, so it was hard to separate the barks, so I got both inner and outer from that tree.
I cut a half dead limb from the cherry(black cherry) at the road and I am working on de-barking that. I'll end up with a grocery bag full of bark from that limb. I am taking both the inner and outer bark-not sure about that, either, as to which one is better.
I haven't ventured up into the woods to the chokecherry yet, but I did scope out another cherry, It's either a black or a pin, (I need to take the book out there to be sure) for suitable cutting branches within reach. I don't want to be climbing ladders or trees with one arm, ya know? :)

We have a tall wild cherry on the edge of our drive/road close to
the house, youngest son has been climbing the tree with and without a
ladder, harvesting cherries. He hasn't gathered enough yet to make
anything, just enough for snacking.

Brings back memories for me....I recall also climbing a wild black cherry tree and eating the fruits when I was a kid. Summer fun. :)

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W