homestead - Re: [Homestead] Asia doubts US resolve

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Asia doubts US resolve
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:32:42 -0800

At 12/10/2005 02:44 PM,Bill Jones wrote:

Does anyone seriously imagine that the Japanese are going to attack
anywhere on the mainland, or that the Germans might invade France again?

In 1854 the Americans forced Japan into the world, in 1905 Japan won a war against Russia, by 1943 they controlled a large chunk of the world.
Japan is a nation with a long military history and the past 60 years is not necessarily how things are going to be for the next 60 years. How long would it take for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (built the Zero back in the 30's & 40's) to turn from autos & tankers/freighters to war planes & naval ships? Not to mention the Japanese technology companies.
The Germans in France again? They were in France in 1918, again in 1939 ... I'm sure there are people in France and Russia who look at Germany & still think about it from time to time.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went back for another visit. Won't happen today but I would not make any guesses about ten years down the road.

What's different is that a county's wealth is no longer proportional to
its territory, as in the traditional sense.

I'd like to agree with you whole hearted but Japan in the 1930's & 40's did have wealth enough to build a mighty war machine.

As I see it there is not much we can do today but Germany & Japan are worth watching, as is China.
Things are changing in the world, changing fast & our lack of resolve is something for the rest of the world to keep their eyes on.

Rob