homestead - [Homestead] trailers was: Auctions- was Tractor

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] trailers was: Auctions- was Tractor
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:47:11 -0400

At 10/23/2005, you wrote:

A trailer is definately something on my mind for that reason alone, and also
because with some minor adjustment I could haul stock or whatever.

Be careful, not all tandems are the same. For any load over 1500# most stated require brakes on at least one axle. Surge brakes are easiest to use but require the most maintenance. Electric brakes require a controller in each tow vehicle. Axles are rated from 1500# to 3500#. A tandem with 3500# axles can carry around 5500#, taking into account a trailer weight of around 1500#. Be aware of tire load weights. A wood floor of 2 bys will carry point loads such as a tractor or distributed loads such as gravel. Loading ramps are another place where you want something strong enough for the anticipated loads. Ramps in the shape of a ladder are light but many times the openings can make it difficult to roll a car tire. Railings on each side make a light trailer but can interfere with car doors but pose no problems for tractors.

My tandem has two 3500# axles with electric brakes on the front with radial tires rated at 2200#. It has a floor of 2X10s and rails along the sides and a 2 5/16 ball. The larger ball makes it harder for people to borrow. The connector is the RV type which also makes it harder to borrow. The sides get in the way of car doors but it had hauled steel, crawler and rubber tired tractors, rocks, etc. The ramps are the ladder type but the spacing makes it very hard to load cars with flat tires and the ramps are very heavy. I plan to replace the ramps.

Here is a picture with a tractor loaded:
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/January%2005/images/ferguson.jpg

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=35.588269&longitude=-82.629132