homestead - [Homestead] Tractor

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Homestead" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tractor
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:46:25 -0400

I am finding that I am uniquely qualified for a lot of what I need to do on
my homestead. Also, the areas that I am weak on are becoming glaringly
apparant!

I learned to drive on a tractor and have many hours of plowing, disking,
planting, mowing, etc. under my belt. However, I never learned much about the
mechanics of it. I am learning that I'm not too bad a troubleshooter and can
do a lot of my own mechanic work.

What I don't know is how to match a tractor to my needs. I know that I need
one, I need to be able to chisel plow (at least at first), bush hog and do
work with the front loader among other things. I don't think that I need a
lot of tractor. Can any of you help me or direct me to a decent resource? I
leave all of the websites I find confused.

I'd like to trust my local John Deere (or other, dealer), but that might be
unwise.

Thanks for any direction,

Rob
>From becida AT comcast.net Sat Oct 22 21:39:13 2005
>What I don't know is how to match a tractor to my needs. I know that
>I need one, I need to be able to chisel plow (at least at first),
>bush hog and do work with the front loader among other things. I
>don't think that I need a lot of tractor. Can any of you help me or
>direct me to a decent resource? I leave all of the websites I find confused.

Lot's of times when someone has asked about a tractor or what they
need to know about tractors in general someone refers them to the
antique tractor list. The word is that the folks there know about tractors.
I on the other hand know zip about tractors... but maybe I saved a
good post on them. I'll look.
Good luck!

Rob

becida AT comcast.net