homestead - Re: [Homestead] USDA's Mandatory Property and Animal SurveillanceProgram

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] USDA's Mandatory Property and Animal SurveillanceProgram
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:18:05 -0700

At 10/19/2005 08:25 AM, you wrote:
Marie McHarry wrote:

>We're living in a country where the government can't fund port security and
>is going trillions of dollars into debt to irritate the Arab world and turn
>the Undecideds there into bona fide terrorists. To imagine that we'll have
>inspectors climbing into the trees to see if the hens and guineas are in
>compliance -- well, I suppose it will be interesting to see how it all works
>out.

Love it. I explained the law to my sons this morning at breakfast and
they both looked at me like I was nuts. My oldest son, now 15, began
his rant with "you've got to be kidding me, they want to keep track of
our chickens and they can't even...." I'm with Rob, why waste the time,
energy and money to discuss such an issue in the first place? The good
old USDA, who can't keep track of mad cow disease and won't fund testing
of more than 1/10 of 1% of all cattle going to market. My memory may
not be correct on the percentage of cows tested, but I do recall it was
a very small number, less than 1%. Where is that Hightower report when
I need it?

FWIW the USDA won't allow full testing for mad cow even if the cattle company wants to pay for it... Won't allow it.

For this tracking deal, think "privatization" to help with the enforcement. Have you looked at the links Lynda sent along earlier? Lot's of money to be made, buckets of money.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net

At 10/16/2005 01:59 PM, Lynda wrote:
The link is real. Now, go and review the PAWS legislation that is pending
and read this link about PAWS
http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/09/the_paws_bill_r.html
and then see what interesting things happened after this guy blogged about
PAWS
http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/10/the_paws_bill_l.html#more

Bottomline, it is all about the money and RFIDs.