homestead - Re: [Homestead] USDA's Mandatory Property and Animal Surveillance Program

  • From: "Lisa K. V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] USDA's Mandatory Property and Animal Surveillance Program
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:48:41 -0400

Rob wrote:

Those of you who keep chickens or goats or cows or any type of livestock might want to take a look at this.
````````````````````

Why You Should Oppose the USDA's Mandatory Property and Animal
Surveillance Program
by Mary Zanoni, Ph.D. (Cornell), J.D. (Yale), Executive Director of
Farm for LifeTM
P.O. Box 501, Canton, New York 13617
Telephone: 315-265-2800 Email: mlz AT slic.com

...the USDA has been working with the largest-scale
animal industry organizations (for example, the National Pork
Producers, Monsanto Company, and Cargill Meat) to develop a
mandatory "National Animal Identification System" ("NAIS").
However, most...people who raise animals for their own food...do not know about the USDA's plans.

...On April 25, 2005, the USDA released "Draft Program Standards"
("St.") and a "Draft Strategic Plan" ("Plan") concerning the NAIS.
If you think the description below sounds too bizarre to be true,
please go to www.usda.gov/nais , read the Standards and Plan, and check
the citations.
By January 1, 2008, the NAIS will be mandatory. (Plan, pp. 2, 10,
17.)
Every person who owns even one horse, cow, pig, chicken, sheep,
pigeon, or virtually any livestock animal, will be forced to register
their home, including owner's name, address, and telephone number,
and keyed to Global Positioning System coordinates for satellite
monitoring, in a giant federal database under a 7-digit "premises ID
number." (St., pp. 3-4, 10-12; Plan, p. 5.)

I'm behind with list reading. I guess this is real. What the heck is our country coming to? Perhaps it will be time to rise up and revolt against the Federalized police state and ID numbers. We keep chickens, I can't imagine for the life of me having to get some ID # or chip for our chickens.
Lisa