homestead - [Homestead] The cost of the hurricane so far

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] The cost of the hurricane so far
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:09:58 -0700

I was just reading this http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/09/D8CH1R3OA.html and I came across this line, >>Thus far, the tab for federal relief has reached $62.3 billion, with billions more expected to be needed in the months and years to come.<<
Now I realize these are the govt figures so they may not have much to do with reality, then again they might. But 62 BILLION dollars is a LOT of money.
They was what, half a million people in NOLA? Just to put a number on the people in Alabama, Mississippi and the rest of Louisiana that were (big time) affected or displaced by the storm I'll guess at 1 million. That's 1.5 million people... let's round it up to 2 million people.

As far as I can see they have not started cleaning the city yet let along rebuild anything. They are still pumping water out and trying to put the folks who are high and dry and doing well into camps.

Ok, let's say 1/2 that 62 BILLION is out aside. What happens if we divide the remaining 31 billion dollars by the 2 million people who need help? That comes to $15,500 PER PERSON!
(Would someone check the math, these big numbers use a lot of zeros and it would be easy to mess it up. I went dollars/person.)
Now if someone gave us $15,500 PER PERSON in our household we could walk out of the Astrodome or what ever place they were holding us and start over most anywhere in this country.
We showed up here in Washington on the 24th of Aug 2003 with far less than that in our pockets.

I suspect either the numbers are bad or someone is making a HUGE profit off the tax payers. HUGE profit!

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA