homestead - Re: [Homestead] An article cheering the Supremes

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] An article cheering the Supremes
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:53:10 EDT

> >Many citizens, understandably, view this outcome as unfair. Nevertheless,
> >defenders of judicial restraint, particularly liberals, should applaud the
> >Court's refusal to second-guess the economic judgments of city and state
> >legislatures.

The writers of this article and those who agree with this sentiment should
read the minority opinion very carefully. On the surface it looks as if the
SC
is backing out saying that this is a matter for local governments to decide.

The fifth ammendment is a matter for local government's to decide? What is
"public use" is a matter of local opinion???

As well to say the definition of 'freedom of speech' is something that local
governments would know best about, protection from 'double jeopardy' is
something to be decided locally, and whether you can be forced to testify
against
yourself is something best left up to local governments to decide.

The very reason we have a constitutional government is so that local
governments CAN'T decide those things. When a local government forms it de
facto
agrees to abide by the provisions of the constitutions.

There's nothing at all good about the SC's decision on eminent domain.

James