homestead - Re: [Homestead] An article cheering the Supremes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] An article cheering the Supremes
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:57:35 -0700

Many citizens, understandably, view this outcome as unfair. Nevertheless, defenders of judicial restraint, particularly liberals, should applaud the Court's refusal to second-guess the economic judgments of city and state legislatures.

I've changed my view on this decision. I strongly support local control. We can't have local control if we ask the feds to pass laws that we like in discrete matters. If, as in this eminent domain issue, local politicians anger voters, it is easiest to make changes at the local level.

Size matters. Small town politicos are usually more sensitive to voters. City politicos can ignore large groups of people, especially the poor.
The case in hand involves New London, Connecticut, which has a population of about 30,000 and is located within commute distance of New York City. The next local election should be interesting.

In radio and TV interviews the most predictable last question asked me regarding home place selection is, "What is the biggest mistake people make when choosing a place to move to?" My answer is that people make insufficient effort to learn the political and religious temperament of the natives, move there and within a year find they don't fit. A painful mistake, financially and emotionally.

A place with a population of 30,000 does not fit my definition of an ideal place to live, but if it did, I would reject New London on the basis of political values.