homestead - RE: [Homestead] Re: nuke power

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Re: nuke power
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 20:30:52 -0500

<<I'm really curious how a nuke plant is responsible for worse air quality?
Near as I can tell the reaction produces heat, the heat boils water, the
resulting steam goes thru a turbine and electricity comes from the spinning
turbine. >>

That about covers it. As far as air quality goes, nuclear plants put far
fewer radioactive molecules, not to mention other pollutants, into the air
than coal-fired plants do. Anything that is an earth material is likely to
have substantial radioactive emissions associated with it; in fact,
radioactive emissions from fossil-fueled power plants are generally higher
than those from nuclear plants (the nuclear plants have to control emissions
but no one worries about the coal-fired plants). The naturally high level
of radioactivity in earth materials is one reason why some brick houses (and
some homes that merely have basements, have high concentrations of radon.

Oh well, once you accept that life inevitably leads to death, you can relax
somewhat.

Marie