homestead - [Homestead] Re: Homestead Digest, Vol 10, Issue 37

  • From: ted <music AT thenightshades.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Re: Homestead Digest, Vol 10, Issue 37
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 10:19:33 -0700

on 5/29/05 9:00 AM, homestead-request AT lists.ibiblio.org at
homestead-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> One partial solution the author of the piece missed is nuclear
> power plants.

Only trouble is, gee whiz, you need a crew of highly trained, exceptionally
intelligent and emotionally stable rocket scientists with a ton of money and
a massive, intact, highly complex infrastructure to keep a nuclear plant
from going Chernobyl. We have hundreds of future Chernobyls awaiting us
already, because there is no nation on earth that is making a real priority
of maintaining that kind of education and training and infrastructure over
hundreds of years, let alone thousands of years.

When the grid went out in NY in such a big way a couple years back, we came
within instants of having several Chernobyls on the east coast. Thank god we
had plenty of diesel on hand and that the backup systems worked- the backup
diesels at Chernobyl came on a couple minutes late, that's all it takes.
Ted