homestead - Re: [Homestead] Poison Ivy

  • From: "Pamela R. Brown" <brownp AT state.nd.us>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Poison Ivy
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:51:31 -0500

(Document link: Pamela R. Brown)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/Poison_ivy_lg.jpg

Poison Ivy Poison ivy comes in three forms: a hairy, woody, rope-like
vine; a trailing vine/shrub
on the ground; or a free-standing shrub.  It can be identified
by its leaves, which
alternate along the vine, and have three pointed and glossy
leaflets, sometimes with a
reddish color in spring and fall.  The best way to prevent a
skin rash is to learn to
recognize the plant and avoid it.  Wear long pants and a
long-sleeved shirt if you
plan to leave the trails.  If you do come into contact with
poison ivy, wash the
affected area with isopropyl alcohol, then with lots of water.
After this, take a
regular shower with soap and water.  Launder clothes
thoroughly.  Handle any affected
clothing with gloves, then throw them away.

Don Bowen

<don.bowen AT earthlink.net To:
homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
> cc:

Sent by: Subject: [Homestead]
Poison Ivy
homestead-bounces@lists.

ibiblio.org

04/07/2005 10:07 AM

Please respond to

homestead

How do you identify Poison Ivy? As a kid in the midwest I was never
affected by it but now that I am severely affected by Poison Oak I want to
be on the look out.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a good tree and plant
identification book for the south and midwest? Again it was 41 years ago
that I left the midwest and I have found that much of what I knew has
slipped away.

I am currently in Asheville, NC. I went to the Arboretum yesterday but
little in leafed out or in bloom.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
http://www.braingarage.com
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=35.588587&longitude=-82.629175