homestead - [Homestead] Poison Ivy

  • From: ted <music AT thenightshades.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Poison Ivy
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:13:22 -0700

Leaves of three let them be never did it for me. Blackberries have leaves of
3! I am appalled that I never learned to positively identify poison oak
until my late 20's. All the little woodsy education sessions failed
completely to help me differentiate between poison oak and blackberries.

I must say that poison oak has taught me a great awareness of the subtler
points of botany that I don't think I would have learned otherwise. Now I
can walk into a thick section of forest and if the ground is at all visible
I can spot any poison oak within 12-15' instantly and effortlessly. It'll
teach ya!

Whatever you do, don't be pouring hot water on parts of yourself exposed to
poison oak. That'll spread it for sure. I have however frequently seen the
advice to use hot soapy water to wash up after being in the poison oak!
Don't. Many soaps are oil based and oil spreads it too. Don't be getting
into anything oily if you think you've been exposed. A few rare soaps are
not oily (check for a greasy residue after washing your hands), I think
Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap is pretty good in this regard.

I find that if I touch the plant and I don't get abrased or scratched in
that area, I can use plenty o' COLD water and avoid the rash. A scratch or
scrape will make all the difference. Even my pants riding on my waist is
enough abrasion to start up a case in the high-friction spots.

For me it's in large part a matter of containing a case. I've had it for 6
months straight, when I didn't know any better and took hot showers when I
had poison oak. For me it's about avoiding coming down with it, then when I
do, it's about keeping it from spreading.

When I get it I won't eat hot or greasy food- Usually that's enough to
develop a case around the mouth. I change my bedsheets every single night,
and it's cold water bathing only until it's gone.

Ted