homestead - Re: [Homestead] Poison Ivy

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Poison Ivy
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:32:53 EDT

> Leaves of three let them be never did it for me. Blackberries have leaves of

The 'leaves of three' is not for positive identification. It is because over
much of poison ivy's habitat there is a vine that looks similar, Virginia
Creeper, that has five leaves. Knowing what poison ivy looks like in
general,
vine with clusters of pointy leaves, many people panic when the find
themselves
entangled with Virginia Creeper. Hence the rest of the saw:

"Leaves of three, let it be,
Leaves of five, let it thrive."

However, better to avoid everything with three leaves than to get a nasty
rash of poison ivy. Like all such things, some people get more sensitive
with
repeated exposure but some people seem to become immune. I used to get
ghastly
cases of it as a child, but I can handle it with bare hands now and it
doesn't
make a rash.

If anyone has the stuff on their property, get some goats. Goats will eat it
in preference to other things until it is killed off.

James