homestead - Re: [Homestead] Poison Ivy

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Poison Ivy
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:18:21 -0700

Like all such things, some people get more sensitive with
repeated exposure but some people seem to become immune. I used to get ghastly cases of it as a child, but I can handle it with bare hands now and it doesn't make a rash.

When I was a Boy Scout, I could run through patches of it and have no negative reactive. Today, I can get a rash by standing ten feet downwind, it seems. Get it from the dogs, mostly.

Btw, there was a heavy infestation on a yard tree that had me stymied. Ingrid, my stout German neighbor lady, ripped all the vines off the tree with her bare hands and threw it into the woods half way up the driveway. I then cut the vines to the ground and covered the stubs with several layers of heavy black roofing paper weighted well with stones. Finally killed it. Can't remember if I also poured vinegar or something acid on it or not. I wonder if salt would kill it.