homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rabbits

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rabbits
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:27:15 -0700

We bought this place because it is terraced, I guess you'd call it. The
house is on the top terrace, the horse barn is on the second terrace and the
gold rush cabin and two creeks are on the bottom level. Being in the
mountains, this was a good deal because the cold slides on down to the
bottom. AND, the most important was the micro climate (we've now been
informed that we live in the valley's banana belt).

Since everything that she'd done was relatively new it has been easy to move
stuff to more appropriate areas. We are going to have to put a French drain
at the bottom of the slope we've put the "orchard" on. It seems there is a
seasonal "swamp" and it will make the horse barn just about useless!

Thursday our grape vines arrive along with a flat of strawberry plants.
We've decided to pick up some more apples and an Italian prune at the same
time.

We may head on down to Mendocino and bring some blueberry starts back up
with us and try to aclimatize them. Finding cold hardy cherries are next on
the agenda.

Ya gotta admit, living the good life is never boring <g>

Lynda