homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rabbits

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rabbits
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:01:41 EDT

> I have been similarly shocked by how many Ozarks natives do not have a
> garden. Of those that do, most all still plow and weed with tractors. Why
> not, I know they would say, "that's how my momma and pappy did it and my
> gramma and granddad, and . . . ."

And did you find that so many people who had a garden planted the entire
garden, cool and hot weather vegetables alike, on one day .... the official
day
that you "put out" a garden. Here that day is May 10 and in group
conversations
(in our wretched isolation, we actually visit face to face often) someone
will ask about the garden in Feburary or March ... or even April, and those
of
the "put out a garden" orientation will gasp in surprise, "A garden? It's
way
to early to be 'putting out' a garden."

The funniest bit of horticultural wisdom was when I came upon a neighbor
dumping Sevin dust on a peach tree. I asked why and she said someone told
her you
were supposed to put something on peach trees and this was what she happened
to have.

James