homestead - [Homestead] Native's gardens in Ozarks and Appalachia

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Native's gardens in Ozarks and Appalachia
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:14:51 -0700

And did you find that so many people who had a garden planted the entire
garden, cool and hot weather vegetables alike, on one day .... the official day that you "put out" a garden. Here that day is May 10 . . . .

Yes, some Zarkers do that, also. But cool-weather crops such as lettuce, spinach, chard and broccoli are not much in favor. The garden patch is mostly long rows of sweet corn, potatoes, beans and the like, with a few plants of tomatoes for "fresh slicing." In fairness, they probably get more pounds of produce per hour of energy expended than I. Though I am not sure how to compare their tractor plowing, tilling and cultivating with my hand work.