homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rabbits

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rabbits
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:00:19 -0700

The woman that owned this property before us was severely gardening
challenged! She planted full-size fruit trees within 4" of the deck. Since
this is yellow-jacket and wasp haven up here, she had the brilliant brain
fart to plant bartlett pears right next to the deck. I guess she planned on
inviting them right in the front door!

Then she built a planter box on a deck extention (3' off the ground) and
filled it to the brim with dirt loaded with rocks (anyone needs some rocks?)
and planted strawberries. We didn't have a big snow this year but it was
enough to bring the whole thing crashing to the ground.

According to her she had "protected" the trees from deer by putting 4' tall
welded wire around the little fruit trees. Needless to say they were all
topped. She also couldn't figure out why her berries were not doing well.
Hmmmmm, behind a 4' fence that wasn't rabbit proof or tall enough to keep
the deer out. Go figure!

We've moved them all to an area we are terracing. We saved a Fuji apple,
two Bartlett pears, a couple of peaches and 3 mystery trees. We did rescue
the raspberries (now split, we have over 20 plants), the marionberries and
some mystery berries.

She also told us that everyone in the valley plants their gardens on June 1.
Not gonna happen here <g>

Lynda