homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stark Bro's catalog

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stark Bro's catalog
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:07:58 -0700

Anyone ordered from Stark Bro's Nurseries & Orchards catalog? They are located in MO.

I have ordered many trees and other stuff from them over many years. I like them. I stretched their patience with a cherry tree that failed to grow. They replaced it and the replacement failed to grow. They replaced the replacement and said that's it, don't ask for another one. Can't really fault them on that position.

The cherry tree experience is still a puzzle to me. Great location, perfect drainage. The only thing I can figure is that the "perfect soil" I created was missing some vital element, like maybe mychorizae. I lucked out; when I visited Heartwood last June I found that the third cherry tree is thriving. Whatever the problem was with the first two, the soil has become alive and is feeding the tree what it needs.