homestead - [Homestead] One of World's Leading Atheists Now Believes in God, More or Less, Based on Scientific Evidence

  • From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] One of World's Leading Atheists Now Believes in God, More or Less, Based on Scientific Evidence
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:40:54 -0500

This article is interesting. My Grandfather told me during his last days
that he felt most people didn't take religion too seriously until they were
close to death. I note this fellow is 81yo, I wonder if his age has anything
to do with his change of heart.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=315976

An Excerpt:

"NEW YORK Dec 9, 2004 — A British philosophy professor who has been a
leading champion of atheism for more than a half-century has changed his
mind. He now believes in God more or less based on scientific evidence, and
says so on a video released Thursday.

At age 81, after decades of insisting belief is a mistake, Antony Flew has
concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created
the universe. A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the
origin of life and the complexity of nature, Flew said in a telephone
interview from England.

Flew said he's best labeled a deist like Thomas Jefferson, whose God was not
actively involved in people's lives.

"I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far
and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent
Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins," he said. "It could be a person in
the sense of a being that has intelligence and a purpose, I suppose."

---
Hey, we check all the outgoing mail and certify it Virus Free.