homestead - Re: [Homestead] Build it right the first time

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Build it right the first time
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:13:16 -0800

At 12/2/2004, you wrote:
And when we have the chance to re-build it, why should we build it the same way and in the same place? Ultimately "natural disasters" are human created disasters blamed on nature."

Take a look around at what survives such disasters. It is often the older homes, homes built with local conditions in mind. National building codes, build-for-a-price tract homes, and minimal national suppliers of building materials combine to make a sameness of construction that to a large part ignores local conditions. The tract home that gets blown away in a Florida hurricane is essentially the same construction as the tract home that burns in a California wild fire.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com