homestead - [Homestead] House construction, was Homestead survival plan

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] House construction, was Homestead survival plan
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:32:11 -0700

For a rectangular shed-structure I would make the roof of ferroconcrete channels, well tied to the wall bond-beam and and the channels bolted together, with their lips covered with a through-bolted metal or ferroconcrete cap.

I roofed my greenhouse/summer kitchen addition shed roof by laying down heavy roofing paper well lapped over plywood, then heavily stapled down three layers of poultry mesh, then smooshed in a coat of mortar, then troweled a finish coat. (I will try a broom finish on a future experiment.) I expect the roof to last without maintenance until somebody tears the structure down to build whatever it is they will build a hundred years from now. For great beauty at mostly time and labor cost, you can make such a roof pretty. I built a clever form and over the aforementioned made a few courses of what from twenty feet look like slate tiles. After the mortar was shaped I erratically sprinkled on a small amount of concrete colorant, black and a bit of red, then worked that with the trowel. Very pretty, but it's slow work and a course must dry overnight before the next course is made.

(no damned basement)

I've been letting this slide for too long. Stairs are dangerous at all ages and if joint problems exist or arise with age, will be avoided. BUT, to make blanket edicts against two-stories and/or basements is to ignore great opportunity. I refer to the earth-sheltered house built into the side of a hill with a walk-out basement, which, I submit, is a superior design for a house.

Pull back the upper level--push it into the hill--and you have a front deck. Cover the deck and you have a porch. Enclose it with glass and you have a greenhouse. The walk-out end of the basement level should face south and incorporate passive solar design. That is where I would put the greenhouse. Build kitchen and bath on each level and if physical conditions require, choose the level you prefer and rent out the other for old-age income.

Such construction is highly energy efficient and much of the house is inherently fireproof. It negates the safety concern about fire trapping occupants because each level has two exits. Fire goes up, so in case of fire, one could slide down the stairs if necessary and crawl through the concrete basement and out. A concrete ceiling above the basement would make the lower level about as safe as a building can be. And it's cool in summer and warm in winter.