homestead - RE: [Homestead] House construction, was Homestead survival plan

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] House construction, was Homestead survival plan
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:11:49 -0700

Did you apply any type of sealer to the finish coat? I realize that you put
30# felt over the plywood, but any concrete/mortar product that I know of
will allow some moisture to pass. Seems hairline cracks may develop as well due to curing shrinkage and temperature differentials, allowing for
freeze/thaw damage. I'm not criticizing, just asking questions.

I didn't use a sealer because sealers must be replenished and I design to avoid maintenance. Ferrocement cracks are minimized by the myriad wires of the mesh. Multiple coats fill voids below; if this one ever shows a problem I will put on another layer.

The roof has quite a steep slope. The angle was chosen to match the angle of December sun at latitude 36.75N for greenhouse purposes. Full shade during summer months. The roof has a one-inch ventilation channel just under the plywood, and I guess if I ever have the question I might shine a flashlight up there to look for moisture. I would be surprised to see any. Protected roofing paper sheds water well. A roofer here in Phoenix told me that tile roofs shed about half of rain via the tiles and the rest via the paper. The only real concern I have is the many penetrations of the roofing paper by all the staples. I believe the impregnated tar in the heavy paper will seal the penetrations, but that is only a calculated guess; I am ignorant of the fact.

Personally, I think metal roofing is hard to beat for durability and ease of
installation.

I agree. I became enamored of standing-seam terne roofs decades ago and always thought my ultimate home would have that or slate. Both too expensive for who I have become. My ferrocement roof was labor intensive. I lifted all the mortar in buckets. On a large roof I would buy or rent a pump to put the mortar up there.

Metal roofs need near-perfect installation or they are subject to lifting in high winds. Use screws, not nails. They dent and they are dangerous to walk on. I believe they are less fire resistant than ferrocement. All that said, I may well use metal on the new house.