homestead - RE: [Homestead] House construction, was Homestead survival plan

  • From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] House construction, was Homestead survival plan
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:44:24 -0400

>>I roofed my greenhouse/summer kitchen addition shed roof by
>>laying down
>>heavy roofing paper well lapped over plywood, then heavily
>>stapled down
>>three layers of poultry mesh, then smooshed in a coat of mortar, then
>>troweled a finish coat.

Gene,

Did you apply any type of sealer to the finish coat? I realize that you put
30# felt over the plywood, but any concrete/mortar product that I know of
will allow some moisture to pass. Seems hairline cracks may develop as well
due to curing shrinkage and temperature differentials, allowing for
freeze/thaw damage. I'm not criticizing, just asking questions.

Personally, I think metal roofing is hard to beat for durability and ease of
installation.

Warren

---
Hey, we check all the outgoing mail and certify it Virus Free.