gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Do you write about gardens that belong to friends?

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Hamptongar@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Do you write about gardens that belong to friends?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:46:38 EDT

Carol:

I've never had a problem with plants being taken from a private garden.  But when I managed a public garden that was wide open with no fences...it was always a problem.  More so because it was where I taught and of course as my students became more astute as to the more unusual plants...those would tend to be the ones that would disappear.  Having said that thougt I'm well known as one of the plant rustlers...I always have a selection of spades, trowels and my special rustling shovel in my truck.  Don't put out an APB on me quite yet though.  Plants that I take are always on roadsides, abandoned farmland etc or I seek permission.  Sometimes I have to wait months to dig the plant at just the right time...only to find that somone else has gotten to it at the wrong time.

Andrew Messinger
The Hampton Gardener is a registered trade mark and is published every Thursday in The Southampton Press, The Press and the Easthampton Press