gmark - Re: Flight of the Naked Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad AT artsci.wustl.edu>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Flight of the Naked Young Man
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:27:01 -0600

Jeffrey:

I've just read quickly through yesterday's digest and was rather surprised
at the discussion on the above topic. I really think that most of the
speculation about the young man who escaped naked from the scene of the
arrest in Mark's gospel is rather worthless. While admitting that I don't
know with any confidence whatsoever what it means, I don't think it was
left in as a remnant of Secret Mark or as an otherwise meaningless
historical detail about the arrest scene.

The text: KAI NEANISKOS TIS SUNHKOLOUQEI AUTWi PERIBEBLHMENOS SINDONA EPI
GUMNOU, KAI KRATOUSIN AUTON. hO DE KATALIPWN THN SINDONA GUMNOS EFUGEN.

While I don't claim to understand this fully, I really think that any
speculation about it has to start out with the fact that a NEANISKOS and a
SINDWN link this little narrative tidbit with the empty tomb narrative in
chapter 16. It is not an angel (at least not in the ordinary sense as seems
indicated in the Matthaean and Lucan parallels that addresses the women who
have come seeking the body of Jesus but a NEANISKOS. Moreover, we have in
this narrative also a SINDWN that has been left behind by one who is no
longer there. What does it mean? Mark will not tell us, but my guess is
that he would say something like, hO ANAGINWSKWN NOEITW: "Let the reader
understand!" There are some matters about which the evangelist simply
appeals to readers who will understand more than he directly states.

Carl W. Conrad (retired)
cwconrad AT artsci.wustl.edu