gmark - Re: Flight of the Naked Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Larry & Sharon Hooge" <thehooges AT home.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <GMark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Flight of the Naked Young Man
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:53:58 -0800

Personally I think the naked young man is the authour of the gospel of Mark.  I rather like where L.J. Swain is coming from in some of his earlier postings on this subject.

In addition I think that perhaps the authour is identifying himself with the weakness evident in the other disciples.  Perhaps even more so, with the embarassing visual picture he gives of his fleeing.  Mark has recently made Peter, the disciples, and John and James look a little foolish (each following a passion prediction by Jesus).  If Peter has had anything to do with the writing of Mark, then that being made to look foolish may have been by permission (?), and perhaps design.  Perhaps all that 'foolishness' is in line with what much of the section between (approximately) 8.21-10.52 is all about; that is, about being least, not lording it over others, serving others.  If Peter was willing to be slammed first ("get behind me Satan") - was willing to be humbled, perhaps it opens the door to using an example regarding all the disciples (i.e., who is greatest?) and then John and James (we'ld like our thrones, please).  Perhaps Mark too is willing to be made to look weak as well (fleeing from the scene with the other disciples); even looking rather silly (fleeing naked) while at the same time identifying himself as the authour (and perhaps identifying himself with the humility of the possible source - Peter(?), the one willing to giving the prime example of looking 'small'.