gmark - Re: Flight of the Naked Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "James Crossley" <crossleyjames AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Flight of the Naked Young Man
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:48:29 -0000

Many comments have been made linking the flight of the naked young man to various other external texts or passages within Mark. Only a little consideration has been given to this reflecting an actual event in Jesus' ministry. The assumption, it seems, among many people on this list is that the episode is fiction. But the passage could easily make sense in the historic ministry and may have been recorded do emphasise the dangerous situation, if indeed Mark had to have an explicit reason anyway! This does not have to be the case of course and Mark may have had some kind of haggadic tradition. It is very difficult to know precisely. The point is, and this applies generally to synoptic studies, is that so much is assumed to be secondary without actually demonstrating the case. Personally I couldn't care less if ii is secondary or not but I think there are serious methodological problems underlying this discussion.

James Crossley
University of Nottingham