gmark - Flight of the Naked Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Flight of the Naked Young Man
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:24:31 EST

Is there a consensus on this list about the young man at Gethsemane?

"A young man, wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus.  When
they seized him, he fled naked, leaving his garment behind."  (Mark 14:51-52)

I've argued that the flight of the naked man was meant by Mark to
symbolically expose the uncleanliness and shame of Jerusalem and the high
priests:

”Your nakedness will be exposed and your shame uncovered."  (Isaiah 47:3 )

"Jerusalem has sinned greatly and so has become unclean. All who honored her
despise her, for they have seen her nakedness." (Lamentations 1:8)

Given the extremely tight connections Mark maintains between his gospels and
the Old Testament, this explanation seems to be more likely to be correct
than others I've heard.  Does anyone disagree?

Regards,

Joe Alward