gmark - Re: Flight of the Naked Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ray Pickett" <rpickett AT lsps.edu>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Flight of the Naked Young Man
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:29:39 -0800

I take the "young man" (neaniskon) who appears dressed in a white robe in 16:5 to be the same "young man" (neaniskos) who flees naked in 14:51-52. I have thought this for so long I can't even remember whose idea it is, but I think I may have read it in an article by Robin Scroggs.

If this is a plausible rendering, then it would suggest a catechetical use of Mark in a baptismal liturgy. The baptizand identifies with the "young man" in his nakedness during the passion where all desert Jesus and flee (14:50) only to be raised and clothed with Christ so that fear can give way to faithful following of Jesus.

This is just one possibility, but it seems to me that the "young man" in the tomb requires as much of an explanation as the "young man" in 14:51-2.

Ray Pickett