freetds - Re: [freetds] 0.65 (or whatever) TODO

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 0.65 (or whatever) TODO
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:11:45 -0400

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> I still have some things to do before a release
> 1- odbc cursors, sybase
> 2- odbc cursors, update
> 3- timeout

Hi Freddy,

I really think resultset handling is the most important ODBC problem. I
haven't been able to work on it, but it really needs to be done and it
would be great if you took it on.[1]

If you don't want to -- or if you don't like the way I described it --
that's OK, too. For me, though, it's the *only* thing we need for 0.65.

We need a tds_read_results() function in src/tds/api.c ;-) that reads
*everything* after the last ROW token (if there is one) up to the next
result (if any). That way, the client app can pull the extra bits --
COMPUTE, RETURN_STATUS, etc. -- in any order he wants to from the ODBC
layer.

To write that function correctly, we need to deal with server messages
(and some client messages). Message handling has been a problem in ODBC
from the beginning. :-( I think this is the only way to fix it.

Regards,

--jkl

[1] Other volunteers welcome, too, naturally. That's what's made the
project what it is.