freetds - Re: [freetds] Connection timeout problem on HP-UX

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connection timeout problem on HP-UX
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:25:22 -0400

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:

> So:
> - if linux or hpux (freebsd?? solaris?? tru64?? sgi??) use int
> - if win32 use u_long
> - if possible (that is not cross compiling) do a small test (using
> configure)
> - give error :'(
>
> I don't like autoconf that much but I think I'll have to write some m4
> code before release... and even backport it !!

Before you do this, can you show me correct code that doesn't work on all
systems? What is the "bug", exactly? Which function are we talking
about?

It's always safe to assign an int to a long. That's C. Endianism doesn't
matter.

If there is a function that is defined differently in different OS's (e.g.
getservbyname_r) then we might need an m4 file for it, if autoconf doesn't
already handle it.

I prefer to write correct code not obscured by preprocessor macros.
Sometimes we can include documented patches in the distribution for broken
OS's.

Best,