freetds - Re: [freetds] Connection timeout problem on HP-UX

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connection timeout problem on HP-UX
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:48:21 +0200

> Yes, you are right, when I set ioctl_blocking type to
> int(4Bytes) setting of non-blocking socket works by ioctl
> method(like and with fcntl method which I use).
>
> On Linux with type long (8Bytes) or type int(4Bytes) ioctl
> works, but on HP doesn't, why?!?!?
>
> I use HP-UX B.11.23 and SUSE Linux 10.1 ...

Probably cause you are using a pa-risc which is big-endian while Linux
under a x86-64 platform which is little-endian.

Now we have a new bug :(... and is not that easy to fix... testing if
sizeof(long) == sizeof(int) is easy, the problem is, where sizeof(long)
!= sizeof(int) to detect type size. I think the only way is doing a
small test of using define like __hpux. However it seems that int
instead of long is most widely accepted.

So:
- if linux or hpux (freebsd?? solaris?? tru64?? sgi??) use int
- if win32 use u_long
- if possible (that is not cross compiling) do a small test (using
configure)
- give error :'(

I don't like autoconf that much but I think I'll have to write some m4
code before release... and even backport it !!

freddy77