freetds - Re: [freetds] 0.65 (or whatever) TODO

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 0.65 (or whatever) TODO
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:56:55 -0400

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> There was some bugs in bsqlodbc (committed), now I have (I compiled with
> no dm)

Thank you.

> $ cat hg.sql | ./bsqlodbc -S xxx -U test -P test
> "[FreeTDS][SQL Server]hello"
> "[FreeTDS][SQL Server]goodbye"
> $ cat hsg.sql | ./bsqlodbc -S xxx -U test -P test
> "[FreeTDS][SQL Server]hello"
> one
> ----------
> 1
> "[FreeTDS][SQL Server]goodbye"
> two
> ----------
> 2
>
> So... it seems fine. Personally I would use ODBC 3 in bsqlodbc with an
> option for ODBC 2.

I'm happy to use ODBC 3; I'm not sure how. ISTR I linked bsqlodbc to
Sybase's libraries at one time (disk since crashed). I'm not sure I
committed the changes I made to make that work. I remember there was a
function call to set the version. Is that what you mean?

I'll redo my Sybase test and let you know.

> There are some problems:
> - SQLFetch/SQLMoreResults return errors even on SQL_NO_DATA. You have to
> read them (fixed in bsqlodbc)
> - unixODBC till 2.2.11 (I don't know 2.2.12) DO NOT read errors on
> SQL_NO_DATA
> - ODBC 2 collapse recordset and errors

Noted! I have unixODBC-2.2.12. Do you mean it's a DM problem, or an
isql problem (not reading errors on SQL_NO_DATA)?

> > Example 1: losing messages
> > --------------------------
> >
> > $ cat hsg.sql
> > print 'hello' select 1 as one print 'goodbye'
> > select 2 as two
> >
> > $ cat hsg.sql | isql -vb $S $U $P # loses 'goodbye' message
> > SQL> [01000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]hello
> > [ISQL]INFO: SQLExecute returned SQL_SUCCESS_WITH_INFO
> > +------------+
> > | one |
> > +------------+
> > | 1 |
> > +------------+
> > SQLRowCount returns 1
> > 1 rows fetched
> > SQL> +------------+
> > | two |
> > +------------+
> > | 2 |
> > +------------+
> > SQLRowCount returns 1
> > 1 rows fetched

The 'goodbye' message was lost. Is this an isql problem, too?

Thanks for fixing bsqlodbc and for explaining the reversed messages in
unixODBC's isql. If the lost messages are an isql bug, too, and if
bsqlodbc behaves well with Sybase's driver, then I'm happy to prepare to
release 0.65.

I just want to be able to tell people which unixODBC and DBD::ODBC module
to use to get reliable message delivery.

Regards,