freetds - RE: [freetds] slow freetds-sybase perfromance - thorough test

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] slow freetds-sybase perfromance - thorough test
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:35:29 -0500

Microsoft says:

The default packet size set by Microsoft® SQL Server(tm) is 4096 bytes. If
an application does bulk copy operations, or sends or receives large amounts
of text or image data, a packet size larger than the default may improve
efficiency because it results in fewer network reads and writes. If an
application sends and receives small amounts of information, you can set the
packet size to 512 bytes, which is sufficient for most data transfers.

I am inclined, as a strategy, to use packets of 4096 when connecting via TDS
7+. For Sybase servers, perhaps we can negotiate the packet size with
capabilities? We could request 4096 and see what the server comes back
with?

Were we to do that, the freetds.conf option would become superfluous.

out such orders and/or instructions.