freetds - RE: [freetds] slow freetds-sybase perfromance - thorough test

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] slow freetds-sybase perfromance - thorough test
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:48:28 -0500

16.38
> windows fastlinux yes odbc++ over ASE odbc 0.753 34

Also interesting:

fastlinux fastlinux local odbc++ over freetds 1.57
16.56
linux fastlinux yes odbc++ over freetds 1.59 16.38

Indicates that for this test FreeTDS is almost unaffected by the presence of
a network, when using TDS 5.0. Or is it 4.2, Gad?

If we accept that the FreeTDS linux client is 50% as fast as the the windows
client, then this pair is very weird (which is how Gad got started, right?):

linux windows yes odbc++ over freetds 5.28
4.92
windows windows local odbc++ over ASE odbc 0.14
185.00

Something is clearly, um, suboptimal here. Microsoft has the opportunity to
use shared memory (or a giant packet size) on the local server, and well
might. Even so, it's still hard to explain the difference. One would
suppose the Linux client could at least approach the 16 lps speed it had
with the Linux server.

I hope you can get FreeTDS working on your Win32 client, so we can see the
apples-to-apples comparison. If you have a nonlocal windows client
available, that would help too. That would reintroduce the network, and
it's possible that Sybase on Win32 has poor network characteristics.

Just to double check: Are you using FreeTDS 0.60? If so, you really should
get last night's snapshot (don't use rc1). We discovered a bug some time
ago that caused FreeTDS to write to the log file even when it should not.
That would definitely affect performance, and is consistent with the "wide
tables are slower" observation. Also,

> freetds trace = yes
> freetds trace level = 10

If "freetds trace = yes" means "dump file = /tmp/freetds.log" in
freetds.conf, that's a problem, because you're logging your queries, which
is very expensive.

Thank you for the data, Gad. Yours is the first objective measure I can
recall.

out such orders and/or instructions.